George Cork Maul
P.O. Box 635
New Suffolk, NY 11956
George Cork Maul is a composer, pianist and performance art specialist living and working in New Suffolk. He studied 12-tone composition with Isaac Nemiroff at Stony Brook where he earned a B.A. and went on to do graduate work in electronic music with Bulent Arel and classical style with Charles Rosen. After touring for several years and working as a studio musician, he began composing a wide range of serial and tonal music. His credits include modern songs, suites and dance pieces, contemporary operas, musical theater works and music for software. His compositions have been performed in Italy, Ireland, Canada and the United States. He is currently composing pieces for string orchestra and can be found performing at north fork vineyards, Long Island libraries, art openings and other theatre venues.
• Composition of computer generated mock-Chinese contemporary opera, “The Empty City”
(performed at Greenport First Night Celebration); Sound Sculpture for Greenport Footfalls.
• Organized and led software development team in creation of web based interactive bilingual education/literacy software for IBM as part of global push in software development.
• “Besides Ourselves” and “Brushstrokes” collaborative performance pieces at Whitney Art Works
• Recipient of Meet the Composer grants in 2001, 2004 and NYS S.O.S. grant in 2000,2002,2003.
• Collaboration with Canadian playwright to develop contemporary opera/musical theater pieces, “The Discovery” and “The Illusion” performed at the Alberta Theater Projects recent seasons.
• Sound Design for “The Children of Lir”; Original Music for two short plays by Sam Shepard.
• Logo and trademark development for “The Light in the Forest Collection” for Imperial Software.
• Composition of “L’ Uccello Nero” and other solo piano works (Debut at Parrish Art Museum).
• Score for Northeast Stage Production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, As You Like It and The Tempest at Shakespeare in the Park.
• Co-organizer of The East End Musicians Think Tank and Guest Curator at The EEAC.
• Organizer of “Stories and Soundscapes” a collaboration of writers, composers and storytellers.
• Composer/pianist exploring long forms and free forms, performing live and writing daily.
• Explorations in the fields of multimedia, music theater and performance art.
• Consultant, advisor and producer of interactive/multimedia software
• Dialog and networking within the artistic community.
• Board of Directors of Douglas Moore Festival, Peconic Chamber Orchestra, and First Night Greenport.
• Treasurer, Long Island Composers Alliance
• Teacher at The East End Arts Council Community Music School
• Member of ASCAP, and The Long Island Composer Alliance
• Founder of the Hidden City Orchestra, a performance art collective.
SKILLS AND SUNY at Stony Brook, BA in Music Composition
EDUCATION One year graduate work electronic music and multimedia.
Electronic musician with strong proficiency in midi and digital audio applications.